Houston Home Inspection | Katy Home Inspection | Cypress Home Inspection | Fulshear Home Inspection | Sugar Land Home Inspection | FAQs







Buyer's Advocate
Home Inspection Services

When you need it done right,
take it to Houston's home inspection experts.
find out why

Houston Home Inspections
Home About Us Services Direct to Consumer For Realtors Contact Us Home Inspection FAQs


When do you need a permit? You will need a permit when you (or an authorized agent) intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure to change, replace, alter, remove, enlarge, install, remove or replace any electrical, mechanical, gas or plubming system, any licensed contractor, should first apply for permit to the building official and obtain a permit.

Exempted from permit:

1) One story detached accessory structures provided the floor area does not exceed 200 ft²
2) Fences not over 6 feet
3) Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet
4) Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade
5) Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops
6) Prefabricated swimming pools less than 24 inches deep
7) Swings and other playground equipment approved for residential occupancy
8) Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do no project more than 54 inches from the wall

1) A permit is not required for minor repair work including the replacement of bulbs or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles (so that means one can change the light bulbs but that's about it).

1) Portable heating, cooking or clothes drying appliances.
2) Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make equipment unsafe.
3) Portable fuel cell appliances that are not connected to fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.

1) Portable heating, cooling or ventilation appliances
2) Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by code.
3) Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval or make equipment unsafe.
4) Self-contained refrgeration systems containing 10 pounds (or less) of refrigerant that are accutuated by motors of 1 hoursepower (or less).
5) Portable fuel cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping sytem and are not interconnected to a power grid.

The repair of accessible leaks, clogs, water, soil, waste or vent pipe is ok unless the problem is concealed. If the leak, clogs, water, soil, waste or vent pipe is conceled (for instance under ground), the work shall be considered new and a permit is required. If the repair of clogs, water, soil, waste or vent pipe require new valvles, pipes or fixtures, a permit is required.
If an emergency repair is required the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the official.

Serving Houston, Katy, Cypress,  Cinco Ranch, Jersey Village, Missouri City, Spring, Sugar Land, and other locations. Our precise and courteous inspector is well experienced, punctual, and generates the best report in Houston within 24 hours.



Inspection Issues

Know the facts
Before you buy a new home, get the facts.
Improve resale value
Get your home inexpected regularly to protect your resale value over time.


Houston Home Inspections

Terms of Use | Privacy Statement © 2009 MyHoustonHomeInspections.com. All rights reserved